Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
Spark is looking for a Senior Ruby on Rails Developer to join our team based (mostly) out of Vancouver, Canada.
Who you are
An innovative, organized, self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills. You have a keen attention to detail, and are able to work under tight deadlines. You’ll be doing a lot of coding, contributing to a large interconnected application, and solving complex problems. You’ll be working with and mentoring a team of developers of varying experience levels.
A day in the life might look like
- Planning, architecting, refactoring, and optimizing web application products offered by Spark.
- Adding to and maintaining our automated test suite with RSpec.
- Maintaining the server/system infrastructure used by our applications (currently there is no separate DevOps team).
- Participating in team check-ins, and product planning & review meetings.
- Reviewing code changes made by others and recommending opportunities for improvement/refactoring of code for readability, security, and performance.
- Reviewing our applications to document, propose, and execute code refactors for functionality, security, and performance.
- Writing internal documentation as new functionality is released, or when new development processes are implemented.
- Mentoring and training other developers & new hires to bring them up to speed with our applications and development processes.
- From time to time, there is a need for out of office hours support for critical bugs, or infrastructure issues. It’s rare, but it can happen!
- Asking questions, lots of questions, it’s a complicated industry with complicated processes!
- Reviewing project planning designs & documentation and creating software release plans along with implementation milestones before development kicks off.
You may be a fit for this role if you have
- At least 10 years of professional experience as a software developer.
- Thorough knowledge of Ruby on Rails (5+ years of experience): The pitfalls of the framework, how to effectively organize code in a larger project, and how to write efficient and understandable code.
- Software architectural experience, with a strong understanding of how different web services and data stores can interact in a reliable, scalable fashion.
- Experience writing tests to ensure that software always works as designed.
- Experience with PostgreSQL & Redis, with knowledge of how to optimize for them.
- Experience working with production servers/systems, and the ability to debug and optimize them.
- Experience planning software releases, migrating large datasets, and minimizing risk.
- Ability to work productively in a remote team environment, learn new technologies and overcome obstacles as needed, then share the knowledge.
- Comfortable working on MacOS, Linux, or other Unix based systems.
Bonus points if you have
- Experience with these technologies: AWS (EC2, RDS, ELB, S3, CloudFront, Elasticache, IAM, ECS), Ansible, Docker, Katalon, Turbo & Stimulus.
- Experience applying OWASP ASVS or other standards is a bonus, and you’re concerned about privacy and security.
- Experience in Proptech, previously worked on software for the Real Estate space.
- Competitive salary & vacation policy.
- Health, dental, and vision benefits with a health spending account to extend what you can spend a year on basic and extended items.
- A wellness spending account to reimburse you for things that keep you active. Gym memberships, sports equipment, health related gadgets, etc.
- Option to work from home in combination with utilizing a spacious 5,500 sqft Yaletown office to drop-in or have a permanent desk.
- Join a team of unique, well rounded individuals of various backgrounds, all lending to Spark’s distinguished brand in the Proptech and real estate development industry.
Please send a brief intro letter and your resume to email@example.com.